Tuesday, July 28, 2015

This Week's Tinsel #1

(This Week's Tinsel allows me to share the things that add a little glimmer of joy to my life each week. (Products, adventures, moments, epiphanies, etc.) I hope reading about them brightens your day a little too!)


 MacBook Pro


You may have noticed that blog posts around here have been very few and far between. Last fall, my good old MacBook took a turn for the worse. She had been by my side for 7 or 8 years, but was not feeling so well anymore. Insert Project Squirrel Away Money. At first I didn't think much of it, just put it on my to-do list of things to save money for. Then in March, she quit working all together. 

Let me tell you, suddenly being without a computer at all is VERY challenging. Sure, I have my phone, but with aging eyes like mine, it takes an awful lot of patience to type out a blog post. Too much patience in fact. 


So finding a new computer became necessity. (Luckily, I was able to supplement my income by working an extra week on the Common Core Report Card Committee in my district.) So the search began. I really LOVE my MacBooks and despite my hubby's encouragement to try another brand, I was convinced I needed another Mac. 

After many hoops and obstacles, this beauty landed on my doorstep, and boy was she worth the wait! I can't wait to figure out all the new bells and whistles, but most importantly, I am excited to be back at this blog writing business! Watch out world, extensive,nonsensical documentation of our lives is once again in full force!

Starbucks City Mug/Traverse City Cherries


Mornings. I love my summer mornings. They are my quiet time. My time to think, plan, blog, catch up on online classes, and enjoy my coffee. 

Lately, I have had a near obsession with coffee mugs. I know it's driving Rex nutty as it is getting harder and harder to close the cupboard door. (I keep rearranging to make it look like the mugs aren't taking over, but let's face it, they are.) I promised myself that I would be super selective about the mugs I bring home from now on, but how could I pass up the Detroit mug? I've been searching for it since they came out last year, had all but given up, and BAM, there it was. No contest. It came home with me.

Oh, and the cherries? They're my tinsel too. I come from a town that's known as The Cherry Capital of the World, therefore, I'm kind of picky about my cherries. No Washington cherries for me!  I will be content (over)eating cherries until they are out of season around here. :)

New Books!


Funny story? I've been to B&N twice in the last week. Why, because I gave away some of the books I bought myself. I tend to do that. Give away my favorites. It just makes me happy!

The first book that I'm SUPER excited about is The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. This book is exploding on instagram right now (#konmari) and I am really inspired by what others are saying and doing because of this book. I started to read it the other day (and then gave it away to a good friend) and I can't even tell you how excited I am to start this process in my life! Many who have read the book have suggested that you read it all the way through before you start tidying in order to avoid going back and redoing things, but I'm not sure I can resist. I'm ready to toss/donate everything! (Okay, not everything, but more than ever!) I'm ready for some life-changing tidying!


The bottom three books in the stack are stories that have always brought me joy. Classic stories with beautiful covers have been my tinsel lately. Earlier in the year, I started collecting (hmmm....this tidying thing might be harder than I thought...) classics with gilded edges, beautiful illustrations and fancy covers. When I saw this series at B&N for only ten dollars a piece, I knew I had to have my favorites: Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. These are books I have read and reread, and I do have MANY copies of them, but they are also the most loved, and these beautiful copies make me happy. :)


(Oh, I almost forgot! The other book in the pile is Rex's journal. It has a beautiful cover, and lots of room to write lyrics on one side and tablature on the other. It's perfect for keeping all his original songs together.)



Wow, it seems like I could go on and on about the tinsel in my life right now, but I will save some of it for another day. I'd hate to scare everyone away with mega-long blog posts right out of the gates. 

Remember to look for those little pieces of tinsel in your own life!

xoxo,
jenny-lynn


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...